A knack for the net
Inside Blue Mon 22 Jan 2018
The brilliance of Eden Hazard isn’t limited to his goals but his knack for finding the back of the net on a regular basis has been crucial to Chelsea’s success in the Premier League in recent years.
The Belgian maestro enjoyed another landmark day last weekend when he scored twice in the Blues’ 4-0 rout of Brighton to reach the century mark in league goals in his career. He netted 36 times for French side Lille before moving in 2012 to Stamford Bridge, where he has now picked up 65 for Chelsea.
To celebrate the milestone, here is a look at some of his league scoring statistics over the past five-and-a-half seasons and the impact they have had on the Blues in that time.
- Hazard’s 65 goals have come in just 194 games, an average of one in every three Premier League matches he has played for the Blues.
- He has scored against 24 clubs in the Premier League, including 17 of the teams in the top tier this season. The only current Premier League sides he has yet to score against are Watford and Huddersfield.
- His favourite opponents appear to be Newcastle United, who have conceded six Premier League goals to the Belgian, including his only Chelsea hat-trick in February 2014 and a brace in our 3-1 win over the Magpies last December.
- He has also been prolific against West Bromwich Albion and Bournemouth, scoring five goals against each club, and he has also notched four each against Southampton, West Ham, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur.
- While he favours his right foot for tucking the ball into the net, Hazard has scored 15 goals with his left foot, as well as nodding in four with his head.
- After scoring doubles against West Brom and Newcastle earlier in the campaign, his brace against Brighton was the third time this season - and ninth time overall - that he has scored at least two goals in a Premier League game.
- When Hazard scores, Chelsea tend to win. In the 55 league games in which he has got on the scoresheet, we have picked up 46 wins and seven draws and lost only two games – a 2-1 defeat at The Hawthorns in November 2012 and a 5-3 loss at Tottenham Hotspur on New Years Day in 2015.
- The Blues were perfect whenever Hazard scored during our Premier League-winning campaign in 2016/17, as we emerged victorious in all 14 matches in which he grabbed a goal.
- All of the 15 penalties he has taken for Chelsea in the Premier League have resulted in goals. Thirteen of them were converted directly while his efforts against Crystal Palace in May 2015 and Manchester City in April 2017 were put away by the Belgian at the second attempt, after his initial kicks had been saved by the opposition goalkeepers.
- His double against Brighton means he now has 83 goals in total for Chelsea, putting him 13th in our list of all-time goalscorers. He needs four more goals to move level with Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in 12th place on 87.